July 16th 2018 – The balmy conditions of summer are prevailing here in Key West with no end in sight of the 93 degrees and high humidity with little to no wind at all to speak of. Folks, its hot out there. Africa Hot. I swear I saw a giraffe having a cold chilly tropical drink the other day on Key West Duval Street. Just kidding we don’t have giraffes here.
The tarpon fishing is the question of the day for folks calling in to make reservations for July fishing with me and my team here at Dream Catcher Charters of Key West. We are super delicate about these questions. Tip toeing around the fact that Yes, there are tarpon, yes you might catch one but.. you may not. its all depending on a lot of factors right now.
- Are the tarpon here? – Yes.. they are here
- Will I catch one? – We don’t know some days are better than others.
- What If I don’t catch one? – Thats fishing and its not really “tarpon Season”
I know its tough to wrap the mind around us being so vague but thats the nature of late season tarpon. Here today in some areas, we think we have the dialed down to a science then poof gone like a great dream when you wake up. through the years that I have been professionally guiding tarpon fishing charters I have seen the tarpon stick around through September offering my anglers shots at fish up to 100lbs in the right conditions. Generally every day I will start my fishing charters off tarpon fishing first thing in the morning then head to the shallower parts flats fishing for shots at permit or bonefish. I go with the “you don’t know till you try” method of tarpon fishing this time of the year.
- Get up and get out early with your fishing guide. anytime around 7 am or earlier is great.
- Crabs are good this time of the year.
- Let your tarpon fishing guide do his thing. Chances are he has been on the water a lot lately looking and fishing for tarpon.
- Be patient and when your guide says its time to do something else… Its time…
Give us a call for an up to the minute report for tarpon fishing
To get on the water with one of our Key West fishing guides here at Dream Catcher Charters.
Call Us.. 1-305-292-7212